Autonomous institution "Chuvash State Puppet Theater"
Artistic director:Yuri Mikhailovich Filippov
Elizaveta Arievna Abramova
The Chuvash State Puppet Theater was established in 1943 on the basis of a mobile puppet theater that opened in Yadrin by a team of artists evacuated from the besieged Leningrad. In 1944, the Republican Mobile Puppet Theater was transferred to the city of Cheboksary.
The creative policy of the theater continues the established traditions, referring to the works of Chuvash playwrights, the classical heritage of world children’s drama, as well as plays by contemporary authors. After 70 years of development, the Chuvash Puppet Theater (one of the six professional theaters of the Chuvash Republic) is in good creative form, with many successes and achievements in the record. In 1996, for merits in the field of theatrical art, the collective became a laureate of the Youth Prize of Chuvashia them. M. Sespelya.
Since 2001 – member of the International Association of Puppet Theaters – “UNIMA”, since 2003 – All-Russian Association “Puppet Theater – 21 Century”.
A separate direction in the activities of the theater were social projects for people with disabilities. This work began in 2009 with the creation of a project for the service of recumbent disabled children “A fairy tale came to your home”, supported by a grant from the Ministry of Culture of Russia. Since that year, new projects have been “born” in the theater, often not just one, addressed to a special contingent of people who, like anyone in the modern society, need human understanding and participation. An important event was the theater’s holding of a festival for special audiences “We do not need to be the same”, which was held for the first time in October 2013 with the support of the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation.